A Sacramento Regional Transit (SacRT) train derailed on Thursday, injuring two passengers. The incident occurred near Marconi Avenue and Morse Avenue at around 5:30 p.m.
According to the Sacramento Fire Department, two people sustained injuries after the derailment. Though their conditions are unknown, they were transported to a nearby hospital for treatment.
The cause of the derailment is yet to be determined. The officials have begun an investigation into the incident to determine what caused it.
"We are working closely with SacRT officials to investigate this unfortunate incident," said a spokesperson for the Sacramento Fire Department.
The train operator was not injured in the derailment, and there were no other passengers aboard at that time. However, due to the accident's severity, service on that particular line has been temporarily suspended until further notice.
SacRT apologized for any inconvenience caused by this temporary shutdown and assured its customers that it was doing everything possible to ensure their safety during travel.
"Our top priority is passenger safety," said a statement from SacRT. "We regret any inconvenience this may cause our riders."
This is not the first time such an accident happened in recent times as last year; another train derailed near Roseville Road station but without any injuries reported then also.
With investigations ongoing into what led up to yesterday's derailment of SacRT light rail trains causing injury of two passengers as services remain suspended temporarily, commuters can only hope for prompt action towards restoring normalcy while ensuring passenger safety remains top priority by all means necessary.